Horton Strategic is an independent strategic consulting practice working independently and collaboratively with trusted expert associates to provide specialist strategic advice on housing and regeneration to clients in the public, private and third sector.
Horton Strategic is currently working with a number of organisations including South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP), Gravesham Borough Council, Urban Develop, Quinn Estates and Cheyne Capital.
With recent commissions including Clarion, Kier Living, DCLG Private Rented Sector Taskforce, BuildOffsite, Housing and Finance Institute (HFi), Gravesend Churches Housing Association (GCHA) and Kent County Council.
Brian Horton is the founding Director at Horton Strategic.
Brian has over 25 years professional experience in the Housing sector.
As Strategic Housing Advisor at Kent County Council (KCC) Brian worked with the 14 local authorities in Kent to develop and implement the Kent and Medway Housing Strategy.
His work brought him into regular contact with senior leaders from Local Government, Central Government, Housing Associations and Private Business. The role to influence and encourage partnerships to create the condition for housing growth. The Kent and Medway Housing Strategy remains the only County Region Housing Strategy. Brian led a process:
- To develop and promote innovative responses to stimulate housing growth
- To report on progress to the Kent Leaders, Joint Kent Chiefs, Kent Housing Group, Kent Planning Officers Group and Kent Developers Group
- To liaise and negotiate with relevant private sector, third sector, local and national bodies to develop strategy and the means of implementation
- Develop ongoing influencing through engagement with opinion formers and stakeholders across and outside of Kent.
The work in Kent has been recognised by the government to be “Ahead of the Game” and Kent has benefited from significant inward investment and developed market leading approaches to stimulate housing growth.
Prior to joining KCC Brian worked with AmicusHorizon Housing as Chief Executive of Swale Housing Association and Executive Director Kent.
Brian has previously held positions at: Thanet District Council, English Churches Housing Group, Corporation of London and Wandsworth Borough Council.
Brian is a Board Member at West Kent Housing, Co-opted Member Kent Housing Group Executive Board and recently stood down as a member of AmicusHorizon’s (now Optivo’s) East Kent Area Panel.
Brian has a degree in Social Administration from Bristol University, a Masters Degree in Housing, a Diploma in Management Studies and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Housing.
- Kent Housing Group Executive Board – Co-opted Member 2009 – Present
- West Kent Housing – Board Member 2011 – Present
- Chair Kent and Medway Sustainable Energy Partnership Project Board – 2013 – Present
- South East Local Enterprise Partnership – Strategic Housing Advisor – 2016 – Present
- South Essex Housing Group – Member – 2014 – Present
- Essex Developers Group – 2015 – Present
- East Sussex Housing Officers Group – 2015 – Present
- Housing and Finance Institute -Fellow – 2016 – Present
- Kent Developers Group – 2009 – Present
- Developers East Sussex – 2017 – Present
- Chair Kent Design Awards Judging Panel – 2014/2016/2018
- Strategic Advisor – Cheyne Capital – 2015 – Present
- Retained Strategic Advisor – Quinn Estates – 2017 – Present
- Retained Strategic Advisor – Gravesend Churches Housing Association – 2018 – Present
- Retained Strategic Advisor – Urban Develop Limited – 2018 – Present
- Armed Forces Champion – Kent Housing Group – 2018 – Present